Sign up to stay connected.   

William's Photo Album - My Photos up to 2010
The ads below are provided by Google and not affiliated with Genebase.
Photo 131 of 170 | back to William's photos | back to album
Saint Aiden's Church-Bambourgh, Northumbria
Tagged in this photo:
None.
Description:When King Oswald of Bernicia called upon his old educational institution, the great Scottish monastery of Iona, to provide him with a spiritual guide who would help him convert his people to Christianity, the monks asked Saint Aidan to oblige. Aidan, an Irish bishop, gave up his see on Scattery Island in order to undertake this post. In 635 he took up residence at his new episcopal see, Lindisfarne (alias Holy Island), off the Northumberland coast, a few miles north of Oswald's rocky fortress of Bamburgh (http://www.lindisfarne.org.uk/bamburgh/). For the next 16 years, until his death this day in 651, he worked to spread the kingdom, which has no borders, in the language of the Scots. http://www.irelandseye.com/irish/people/saints/aidan.shtm Lindisfarne would be destroyed during the first raids from the east ("Vikings"), on June 8, 793. (http://www.hightowertrail.com/VanguardJun05.htm#Lindis) ----- A cell of Augustinian "Canons" took root at Bamburgh (Northumbria) around 1121, surviving until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537 (Henry VIII). Apart from the church structure (primarily 13th Century), there are some possible remains of the greater monastary incorprated into some agricultural buildings beyond Bamburgh Hall. The church is still in use and was substantially restored in the 19th century. ----- The site of Bamburgh Castle has been occupied since the 1st century BC. The first historical mention of Bamburgh is in 547 when it was the seat of an Anglo-Saxon King Ida. Ida's grandson Ethelfrith gave the castle to his wife Bebba and over the years 'Bebbanburgh' became Bamburgh. In 993 marauding Vikings left Bamburgh Castle in ruins. A new stone castle was built at Bamburgh by the Normans, the great keep probably being completed by Henry II. It remained impregnable from its first siege by William II in 1095 until its last in 1464 and during this time it remained a Royal stronghold. In 1464 Bamburgh became the first castle to succumb to cannon fire during the Wars of the Roses when it suffered heavy damage. Thereafter it gradually fell into disrepair and ruin with only the Norman Keep remaining intact (later restoration projects have repaired some portions). http://www.citysnapper.org/chantrey/northland/nland02.htm
Keywords:Northumbria, Northumberland, Bamburgh, Aiden
Date Added: Aug 18, 2007